Friday, September 5, 2008

Am I Teachable

A question to ask ourselves at this juncture of listening to God is: “Am I teachable. Do I have a teachable spirit? Am I willing to listen to God and be taught by Him?”

We can begin to measure that by viewing Biblical examples of persons who were teachable.
Luke 11:1 Teaching about Prayer. Once Jesus was in a certain place praying. As he finished, one of his disciples came to him and said, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

Acts 8:31 Urge to learn. The man replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” And he urged Philip to come up into the carriage and sit with him.

Acts 16:30 Teachable for salvation. Then he brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

1 Corinthians 2:14 Prerequisite. But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

When we joined the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ in 1968, they had two basic requirements to be a staff member. A heart for God and a teachable spirit.

That would be an appropriate measuring stick for almost any significant encounter – relationally or vocationally. To continue to want to learn is not only mentally healthy but a real sign of maturity. “God, help me never be satisfied with the knowledge I have, but continue to desire to learn more.”

To help determine our teachability it might be helpful to encounter someone close who can be honest with us and ask them, “Am I coachable? Do you sense a teachable spirit in me?” Proverbs tells us that a wise person seeks counsel. She is teachable and benefits from listening to God.

No comments: