Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Join with me again in continuing the theme, “LISTENING TO GOD”

“Listening to God can be the most sublime and joy-filled privilege in the world or it can become the most absurd exercise we ever embark on, laying us wide open to eccentricities, extremes and errors. ” Joyce Huggett

Though there are pitfalls in listening , it seems that God actually wants to dialogue with us. Bolster that thought with Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths.” As I listen to Him, He will direct my paths!

Think of the dynamics of this concept. The Creator, the one who says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

The One who in Romans 8:28 says He will work all things that I experience for my good. That is the God of the universe saying, “Ray, I want conversational intimacy with you so that I can bless you beyond your greatest dreams.” (Ephesians 3:20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.)

Scripture directs, yea commands us to listen. Proverbs chapter one has the word “listen” four times. Proverbs is called the book of wisdom and discipline. Listen to to the tenets of Proverbs and you’ll be a wiser and more disciplined person.

At the Transfiguration, a loud voice came from he cloud saying, “This is my son, whom I love, with whom I am well pleased. LISTEN TO HIM." (Matthew 17:2,5) Not “talk to Him.” Not ask him for things. Listen to Him.

Jesus emphasized listening when he often said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear” Matthew records this in 11:15; 13:9 and 43. In the last book of the Bible, The Revelation, Jesus concludes His messages to the churches with “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Found in Revelation, chapters two and three.)

I wonder if Jesus saw the same problem then as we see now. Listening is not a natural strength of most people. Our minds are busy. Noise distracts. Goals consume our thinking. We’d prefer talking over listening. We think ahead to what we’ll say rather than pay attention to whom we should be listening. All consuming thoughts vascilate between running marathons through our brains and sprinting headlong into, ‘what should I be doing now? I must not forget that 4 p.m. appointment. Will I be able to pay the bills this month? Is she rejecting me? What happens if I get laid off my job?” And on and on our thoughts sometimes play tag with each other, obstructing our listening ability.

“We have two options,” suggests John Eldredge in his book Walking with God. “We can trudge through on our own, doing our best to figure it all out. Or, we can walk with God. As in, learn to hear his voice. Really. We can live life with God. He offers to speak to use and guide us….”
As with Samuel, I echo, “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.” (1 Sam. 3:9)

No comments: