Thursday, September 18, 2008

God Speaks to Us - 3

God speaks to us through the Bible, through fasting and today: 3. Through Balaam’s ass (jackass, donkey) found in Numbers 22:28. Then the Lord gave the donkey the ability to speak. “What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times?” it asked Balaam.
I’ve not heard of that conduit for God’s voice ever happening again, but God can speak to us anyway He chooses!

4. God speaks through a voice. 1 Kings 19:11-13 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

And again in Isaiah 30:-21 Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left.

He spoke audibly at Christ’s baptism. Matthew 17:5 But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him.”

John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.

Biblical examaples of God speaking through a voice. I’ve never heard with my ears God speak audibly. But I believe I’ve heard Him speak to my soul. A soul voice. At times in my counseling practice, I’d be reflecting on or during a session and quite frequently say to myself, “Wow! Did those words come out of me?” It seemed llike it was such a supernatural thought I shared with the client that it would have had to come from God.

I envy my wife’s ability to listen to God’s voice. He consistenly speaks in a soul voice to her. I’m grateful for a wife who desires to hear from God. I believe listening for the voice of God is like my high jumping experience in high school track and field. Practice. Practice. Practice. As I was stretching to clear higher bars, I’d frequently knock the bar off the standard. Temporary failure. Sometimes mistakes were made. I had started the run at the wrong distance or from slightly the wrong angle. But the goal was always out there – just an inch higher. Just another inch higher. If my recollection is accurate, 5’ 10” was my best – good enough for third place in the state meet. Nothing to celebrate but the discipline to go higher and higher was worth the festivity. I pray that my appetite for going higher in listening for God’s voice will continue. There will be mistakes and knocking the bar off. But the goal is to hear His voice. And not just good enough for third place!


No comments: