Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fellowship with Abba Papa

Jeremiah 9:24 but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.
John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Scripture indicates that Jesus arose early and went to an isolated place to commune with the Father. Reflecting on the theme “Knowing and Enjoying God,” I wonder if we ever think that if Jesus needed or was benefited by early morning communion with the Father – how much more do I. Do you?

Psalm 143:8 reminds us, "Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul." How much better the day goes when we’ve risen early praying, meditating, studying, possibly memorizing Scripture, maybe some praise music, and something I’m trying to learn – just hanging out with Abba Papa.. It is so healthy in all realms to embark on this early morning venture, modeled to us by Christ.

And not only Christ. Other characters in the Bible were noted for getting up early to converse with God. Some of them shown are Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Samuel, Nehemiah and Job, to name a few. That intimate time with God reminds us that He is always concerned about us no matter the depth of adversity we may be experiencing. We reaffirm out love and surrender to Abba Papa. We at times question Him, allowing our human emotions to surface. Anger. Fear. Worry. At times we wonder if He is listening or if he even cares. He encourages us to be authentic with Him. Repentance follows, producing freedom. These early morning interchanges with our Heavenly Father are a key exercise in “Knowing and Enjoying God.”

However, before getting too rigid about early in the morning being “holy hour,” we view Jesus praying at another time. Luke 6:12 records it.One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God
Whether it is morning or evening, communion with the Father places us in a position to hear Him speak to us.

Psalm 16:11 wraps up our topic neatly: You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever
The chief end of man, is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

No comments: