Friday, April 10, 2009

God's Attributes - 2

Our granddaughter, Kaylee
A way to know and enjoy God is to know His attributes. From yesterday’s attributes of comfort, eternal life and faithfulness, we look today at:
Glory -
Isaiah 6:3 And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." Especially observed in various facets of nature, from thunder and lightening storm to the wonder of a new born.

Next attribute of God is Goodness - Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. A common greeting goes, “God is good,” to which the person being greeted replies with, “all the time.” Not everything that happens to us, or that we do, is good. But God in His goodness promises to work everything to our good according to Romans 8:28. Some of my men at the Lighthouse Mission have a difficult time forgiving themselves for how they've hurt those close to them with their addiction. "Burwick," they say, "how can ruining my family with my meth addiction be good?" To which I reply, 'It isn't good, but God is extremely creative in working that evil to your good if you yield your life to HIm." Stories abound!

Grace and mercy come next. "Obviously God's primary demonstration of mercy is in sending us Christ, but I've especially experienced His mercy after becoming a Christian. I have a tendency toward legalism, so quiet times and other things a Christian "ought" to be doing are a potential source of guilt for me. God's mercy relieves me from self-guilt if I feel like I haven't been having quiet times regularly enough. I know He's still there, ready to listen at any moment. He's always been good to remind me that He loves me and hasn't forgotten me, even if I think I've forgotten Him." Mary Beth Berry, Indianapolis,Ind.

1 Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Hope – Some situations in life seem hopeless. Parkinson’s is for me a slow deterioration, quite steady with some days better than others. If I look at my state now as compared to last year, there is not a lot of hope for positive change. The person living in a miserable marriage where he or she is doing their best to love the other, returned only by rebuffs - hopeless. Our circumstances may be hopeless, but if we’re walking with God we have the source of hope in mind, best described in Romans 15:13. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Where is our focus – on our situation (which may be hopeless) or on The Source of Hope who according to Matthew 7:11 loves to give good gifts to His children.
More on Monday

No comments: