Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Voice of God

In our quest for knowing and enjoying God more intimately, we must fine tune our ear to hear Him speak. God speaks to us through different avenues - other people, impressions of the mind, circumstances, books we read and other less common ways. Obviously the greatest way He communicates with us is through His WORD.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

He speaks in VISIONS AND DREAMS:
Acts 1:5,7 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'

There is a SOUND OF THE LORD.
Genesis 3:8-9 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

A TRUMPET:
Exodus 19:19 and the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder. Then Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.

FIRE:

Deuteronomy 4:33 Has any other people heard the voice of God speaking out of fire, as you have, and lived?

As ANGEL'S WINGS:
Ezekial 10:5 The sound of the wings of the cherubim could be heard as far away as the outer court, like the voice of God Almighty when he speaks.

As the ROAR OF RUSHING WATERS:
Ezekial 43:2 and I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory.

As THUNDER:
John 12:29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.

A BURNING BUSH:
Acts 7:30-32 "After forty years had passed, an angel appeared to Moses in the flames of a burning bush in the desert near Mount Sinai. When he saw this, he was amazed at the sight. As he went over to look more closely, he heard the Lord's voice: 'I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.' Moses trembled with fear and did not dare to look.

What I take home from this study is: as much as I look forward to communication with my children, God must feel the same with us (or more so.) The question: am I listening, or is life so busy that "Be still and know that I am God" is not active in this house?

No comments: