Saturday, August 29, 2009

Be grateful

The bulls provided for the Caldwell Rodeo had provided 300 showings with only 17 completed rides. I'd be grateful to get out of the ride with my life.

We are examining Philippians chapter four and its theme of ingredients for inner freedom, wholeness, and mental health. The sequence so far: 1.Build relational harmony. 2.Rejoice. 3. Pray. 4. Be grateful. which is today's focus.

And not just at Thanksgiving time! I’m reminded of the story of the elderly man in Phoenix who called his son a few days before Thanksgiving in New York and said to him, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; 45 years of misery is enough. We’re sick of each other, and so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her."

Frantic, the son called his sister, who exploded on the phone. "Like heck
they’re getting divorced," she shouted, "I’ll take care of this." She called
Phoenix immediately, and said to her father. "You are NOT getting
divorced. Don’t do a single thing until I get there. I’m calling my brother
back, and we’ll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don’t do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?"

The man hung up his phone and turned to his wife. "Okay, honey. The kids are coming for Thanksgiving and paying for their flights." Now, that is a little twisted manipulation to garner a thankful spirit.

Philippians four says, don’t worry. Pray, telling God your needs and concerns with a grateful spirit. I believe that an attitude of gratitude is the hallmark signal describing one with well-functioning mental health. If you believe the adage, “Everything is needful that God sends. Nothing is needful that God withholds”, it will be much easier to develop a grateful spirit.

Benefits of a thankful spirit:
1. Increases your sense of happiness. Happiness is really determined by our perspective in life not by circumstances. If we learn to be grateful people despite circumstances that will greatly improve our happiness.
2. Being a grateful, joyful, upbeat person person improves your countenance and your overall lookout on life, thus enhancing relationhips. Having a good friend is no problem for the grateful person.

The apostle Paul began most of his letters in the Bible with gratitude. To the church in Rome he wrote. “First, I thank my God for all of you.” (Romans 1:8) To the church in Corinth. “I always thank God for you (1 Corinthians 1:4).To the church in Ephesus, “I have not stopped giving thanks for you; remembering you in my prayers.” (Ephesians 1:16). To the church in Philippi, “I thank my God every time I remember you.” (Philippians 1:3). To the church in Colossi, “I always thank God when I pray for you.” (Colossians 1:3).

Paul made sure that he let people in the churches know that he was thankful for them. Imagine how much better our church and our personal relationships would be if we expressed our thanks for each other.

3. It will SOLIDFY YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. Which is the top benefit. Someone once said that God lives in two places. He lives in heaven and in a humble, grateful heart. Hebrews 12:25 says, “Let us please God by serving him with thankful hearts.”

How is a thankful spirit birthed and matured? Simple. Look at all the blessings of life you have. If need be, compare your lot in life with those living in refugee camps to give you a more realistic picture of how much you have. As Christians, the blessings are innumerable, now and for the hereafter.
Second, perform a fast. Fasting “complaining” for a month. Vowing you’ll not complain for 30 days. You may appreciate the results so much you’ll make it a permanent fast.

Pray, with gratitude, results in peace of mind which we'll examine next.

No comments: