Friday, August 14, 2009

God, Where Are You?


“I believe in God. I’m a Christian. But where is God in my situation? Does He really care? It doesn’t feel like it.”
I often hear words of this sort in the counseling office, usually declared during the pain of divorce, a child’s rebellion, loss of job or some other peace-threatening situation.
Words that are as old as those found in Isaiah 40:27. O Jacob, how can you say the LORD does not see your troubles? O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights?

With the current economic and political upheaval, the threat of hyper-inflation and the Taliban, and my (insert your own challenge here), “God, where are you? Do you care?” Someone has said, “God, if you treat your children this way, it’s no wonder you don’t have more friends.”

First of all, Christ acknowledged there would be “trouble in River City.” John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Thus, we shouldn’t be surprised when “all hell is breaking loose.” In the world you shall have suffering, but notice the contrast of “in the world” with “in Me.” We are definitely in the world. However, if we are a follower of Jesus Christ, then we are also “IN HIM.” Galatians 2:20 tells us, “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

Yes, we are in the world with its distress, but the “I” that lives in this world is Christ in me and I in Him and He says, “Trust me.”

It’s interesting to note that the original passage we began this article with, Isaiah 40:27 is sandwiched between two powerful passages that encourage our trust in Him
Isaiah 40:25-6 “To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal?” asks the Holy One. Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength,
not a single one is missing.

Then the “where are you, God” verse. Followed by verses 28-31
28 Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

God, through the prophet Isaiah, reiterates His care for us in Isaiah 43:2
When you go through deep waters,I will be with you.When you go through rivers of difficulty,you will not drown.When you walk through the fire of oppression,you will not be burned up;the flames will not consume you.
My friend, whatever deep waters you are or will be experiencing, God is there with you (us), working it for our good if we are cooperating with Him.

My stuttering is worse. My Parkinson’s symptoms are worse. What does the future hold? I don’t know. But I know who holds the future and I know Who holds me in His hand. And that’s enough!

No comments: