Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Yellowstone Park lessons


Returned from Yellowstone Park last night (2 days early). Lessons learned:

1. Heed the weather forcast! Setting up the tent in cold rain, followed by 3 days of rain, sleet and temperature in the 30's was not conducive for a non-camper to be initiated into the ranks of naturalistic pundits! Consequently, the early departure. We'll try it again - someday - not soon!


2. I'm not as spiritually mature as a 70-year-old who has walked with God for 63 years should be. When recounting the event to some friends before we got home, my verbage was very negative: "You can't believe what my first camping experience was like..." That was my focus instead of the great connection with Theresa's children and nine grandchildren; and, the beauty of the surroundings, though viewed through a soggy lense, was amazing.

My opinion of spiritual maturity is this: to walk through a trying time, small or huge, (mine was comparably small), experience and process the normal feelings of the adversity, then focus on what God wants to do in your life through the event - resulting in an attitude of gratitude and praise to the all-powerful, sovereign Creator of the Universe (and me).

I believe one of the results of the experience was not only indicating to me the need for continued growth In Him, but also a preventative to spiritual pride, for which I have a tendency.
Got a long way to go! How about you?

No comments: