Sunday, May 15, 2011

Staggering Awareness

5:30 a.m..I awaken with a staggering awareness. My driving days are fast coming to a close. The last comment my Parkinson’s doc had for me at my most recent visit was, “If you begin to show poor judgement in driving, it is time to strongly consider stopping.” I did last night. Wrecked a trailer carrying my riding lawn mower. Very poor judgement. Another loss chaulked up to Parkinson’s.


“Grieve the loss,” the counselor suggests. “Then, lets get on with living. You still have a lot of life to live and give.”

God says, “I’m still in control. I have your back covered. Still have your best in mind. This is a slowing down, more restful phase of life for you. Think of all I have empowered you to do in the past.. Allow me to give you a new vision and provide the wherewithal to accomplish it.”

Passages from Isaiah 30 come to my mind.

This is what the Sovereign LORD,


the Holy One of Israel, says:


“Only in returning to me


and resting in me will you be saved.


In quietness and confidence is your strength…”


So the LORD waits for you to come to him


so he can show you his love and compassion.


For the LORD is a faithful God.


Blessed are those who wait for his help.


19 O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem,


you will weep no more.


He will be gracious if you ask for help.


He will surely respond to the sound of your cries.


20 Though the Lord gave you adversity for food


and suffering for drink,


he will still be with you to teach you.


You will see your teacher with your own eyes.


21 Your own ears will hear him.


Right behind you a voice will say,


“This is the way you should go,


whether to the right or to the left."

So be it, Abba PaPa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you're dealing with this, Dad! I love you!
G