Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tired - Angry?

Client to counsleor: “I’VE SAVED MY FAMILY SOME TURMOIL. I’VE TAKEN MY KEYS AWAY FROM MYSELF! IF THAT HAD BEEN A PERSON INSTEAD OF A TREE THAT I SIDESWIPED WHAT A HORRIBLE THOUGHT.

“But wow, the loss of freedom.Can’t just jump in the truck and go pick up rock or run an errand. I’m subject to and dependent on others’ schedules. If I live to be as old as my father was at death, that means 20 years of depending on someone else to drive me. OOPHDA

“I’M TIRED. Tired of the constant pain in foot, leg and knee. Tired of loss of balance that causes me to fall nearly daily.Tired of the dyskinesia that periodically rocks my body with constant motion. Tired of the leg spasms. And it looks like I’ll have to live with this the rest of my life. Tired of it” .

Hard-nosed Bible-beating counselor: “You’re not tired. You are angry. Mad at God because you believe that He is all powerful and could relieve you of this pain and doesn’t. You are angry because you’re not getting your way. Repent of your selfishness. Lots of people have it much worse than you.”

Client: “Pain is relative. Knowing that others have it worse than me, doesn’t help my pain. You’re just laying some guilt on me that adds to the emotional pain. And I’m not angry, just tired.”

HnBbc: “Do you think it is bad to be angry at God?” Is anger at God totally unacceptable?”

Client: “No. King David who was called a man after God’s own heart, voiced his anger. A number of the Psalms display the anger, but usually conclude with a ‘yet, I trust You God, attitude.’ I’m working on bringing my attitude into line with David’s model (which for me will be a life-long challenge.)

“By the way, this is my last visit. You may call yourself a Christian counselor, but your compassion is zip. Zilch.



Hmm! I’m wondering how many people left my counseling office with that perspective!!

No comments: