Friday, June 8, 2007

Humility

Yesterday’s post contrasted self-centered, destructive pride with a healthy, appropriate pride. In contrast to self-centered pride, what are God’s thoughts on humility?
¯ Isa.66:2 God esteems the humble;
¯ Isa.57:14,15 – God lives with the humble and revives their hearts;
¯ James 4:6,10 – God gives grace to the humble and lifts them up.
¯ 2 Chron.7:14-brings healing to a country;
¯ Ps.25:9 – the humble are taught by God.

Humility is not something we have, until humbling ourselves is something we do.
How do we humble ourselves?
*Ask God to reveal destructive pride. Repent.
*Take the lower position

What is your pride Achilles heel? About what do you boast? Position, power, economic status, intelligence, a skill? The worst pride is spiritual pride – that is the pride that got satan kicked out of heaven. In my youth, perfect attendance for Sunday school was rewarded with a button that declared perfect attendance for a year. It was an attractive piece of metal that one wore proudly. Some of the older people had a long chain of these medals that they wore proudly. Very proudly!

I don’t perceive myself as an arrogant, cocky person but I have to keep check on spiritual pride. I love the Bible. It is God’s guideline for successful living and dying. I study it daily. I memorize it. Scripture was my main “textbook” for my counseling practice. Know and honor the Word = success. Violate it = dysfunction. What I have to watch for is that subtle drawing attention to myself with, “I’ve got God’s answers.”

I recall a specific prideful experience. Between sessions of a workshop, I was asked to counsel with a woman who had trouble seeing. The problem was her eyes were closed. Have you tried to see with your eyes closed? Doesn’t work. Medical doctors could find no organic cause. In chatting with her, the still, quiet Voice within said, “she’s not wanting to face her sinful resentment. That’s why her eyes are closed.” We probed that area and sure enough, big time anger to her doctor husband who had time for patients but none for her. Desiring to walk closely with God, she repented and began the forgiving process right then. Her eyes opened. So exciting!

I entered the speaker’s podium, pumped. Nothing wrong with that, except I’m afraid that I was taking the glory because out of the blue, the same quiet Voice whispered in my ear, “I share my glory with no man.” I quickly repented and continued speaking. I later found that verse in Isaiah 42. Spiritual pride – ugly, taking God’s credit.

Or for some it is spiritual pride comes in the form of doctrine. “I’m of Calvin. I’m of Wesley. I’m a Nazarene (as I look down upon you being ___. Lest I haven’t pushed any of your pride buttons, let Nancy DeMoss, in her pamphlet “The Heart That God Revives,” expose some pride. She writes a list, comparing proud people with healthy “broken” people.
For example:
proud people focus on the failures of others. Broken people feel overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need.
Proud people have to prove they are right. Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right.
Proud people have a drive to be successful. Broken people are motivated to be faithful and to make others a success.
DeMoss has a list of 30 such contrasts. My shoes were all scuffed as she stepped all over my toes.
I’m wondering if pride is not an issue that we’ll need to be sensitive to the rest of our lives. Like Paul, in what area will you need to watch for pride? Where is your pride Achilles heel?

Monday, we’ll examine the pride deterrent – a thorn.

No comments: