Thursday, June 28, 2007

Paradox of pain


The paradox of pain: sometimes life is agony - however, our loving God is in control. A paradox! Embrace only the first part (life is agony) and you might as well write the epitaph, "Died at 45, buried at 75." Embrace only the second part (God is in control) and deny the agony and your faith may survive, but it will be marked by an inability to truly love God and others with your whole heart. The key to the door of healing and wholeness will be unavailable.
A heart defiled by subtle bitterness at God (for the agaony) that has never been faced or resolved contaminates intimacy with Him. Joy and peace of mind dissipate.

The one I loved is gone. The proverbial shirt was lost in an investment deal. Disease has racked the body. Life is tough - yet, God is in control. Paul challenges us in 2 Corinthians 6:10, “Our hearts ache - yet, we have the joy of the Lord.” Our hearts can ache for the loss, but undergirding the loss is the hope that God is our loving Heavenly PaPa who will work everything to good for the believer.

CS Lewis said, “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscious and shouts at us in our pain. Pain is God’s megaphone to arouse a deaf world.”

Paul tells us in Romans 8:31 “… If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

God is whispering, speaking or shouting to each of us here. “My child, I love you. I want you to dig deeper into intimacy with me so you can see my hand at work in your life. The good times and the tough times. Enjoy me. Because you love me, I am working everything that has happened and is happening for your good and my glory. Trust me. I love you.”

And because of that: Psalm 84:5-7 challenges us, “Happy are those who are strong in the Lord, who want above all else to follow your steps. When they walk through the Valley of Weeping it will become a place of springs where pools of blessing and refreshment collect after rains. They will grow constantly in strength and each of them is invited to meet with the Lord in Zion.”

No comments: