Thursday, June 7, 2007

Pride Prevention – God Dependency


I’ve been so intrigued by the Biblical passage of 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, that I’ve perused it, studying it deeply the past three weeks. Loss and gain stand out dramatically. Let’s have some fun with it the next few days.

Pride Prevention – God Dependency
To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Cor.12:7-10

To keep me from becoming conceited.” The previous verses in 2 Corinthians 12, describe the great revelations Paul experienced which could have resulted in a prideful spirit. What is wrong with being conceited? Is a conceited pride destructive? ________
What are your thoughts?

* Self focus obstructs loving and serving others;
* false sense of self sufficiency and not focusing on and depending on God;
* leads to idolatry –self as god;
* pride doesn’t look back and learn from the past;
* pride doesn’t like to be told what to do – rebellious;
* pride doesn’t face problems, sins, weaknesses.

What does God think about pride? _______
¯ Isa.25:11 and Prov.8:13 – God hates it,
¯ Prov. 11:2- it brings disgrace,
¯ Prov. 13:10-it breeds quarrels,
¯ Prov.16:18-goes before destruction,
¯ Prov. 29:23-pride ends in a fall.
One interpretation of Isa.14:12-14 is Lucifer in his pride was kicked out of heaven along with 1/3 of the angels. Pride is serious business.

Is there a good pride – a healthy pride? _______ your thoughts
Part of Webster’s definition of pride is, “self respect and elation or satisfaction over one’s achievements or possessions.”
Self respect. Is that okay
? ________

If I perceive my body as the temple of the Holy Spirit as described in 1 Corinthians 6, there seems to be a healthy pride in caring for it – exercise, diet, and care of the mind, emotions and spirit. But it is not “Hey world, look at me.” It is not for attention-getting. Rather, “I’m created in the image of God. The Godhead lives within me. I respect and care for my well-being.”

“Elation or satisfaction over one’s achievements or possessions.” Is there anything wrong with that definition of pride?______
I think the key is whether or not the achievement or possession is designed to draw attention to oneself. Healthy pride says, “Self! You did a good job on that project.” Elation or satisfaction is a healthy response.

Tomorrow’s post will begin with God’s thoughts on humility.

No comments: