Thursday, August 2, 2007

Motivated by Son

Another story from the Lighthouse Mission. Name is Jack.
"I’ve followed in my father’s footsteps. Drugs and alcohol, both using and selling. In fact, Dad rarely worked. He made his living selling drugs. I followed suite. He didn’t get caught. I did.
"In and out of jail for three years. Treatment centers provided temporary results. I was leary about entering the Lighthouse Mission because I heard it was a lot of Bible stuff. However, having been at the Lighthouse for six months, I’ve begun a walk in faith with Christ. There is new life. A deep inner change is taking place.

"A little background: parents fought constantly; Dad was very abusive in every way, a very angry man; parents divorced. Mom used drugs and enabled me to do the same.
At the age of 10 I stole dad’s drugs and alcohol. School was not important. I skipped a lot. Got a DUI at the age of 16. Began acid, mushrooms and LSD. I still have visual hallucinations.

"My girl friend and I got pregnant. That is not the best way to start a relationship; however, it is my son who has motivated me to change my life. I now want to be a good dad and role model. I’m planning on going to Boise State when I ‘m finished with my program at the Lighthouse. I realize I can’t live without a commitment to God."
Jack

No comments: