Thursday, November 1, 2007

"I am" is all I need

“I am,” is the name Christ adapts, found in John 8:58. These simple words “I am” expresses the first element necessary in a God who is to be depended upon. No dependence could be placed by anyone of us upon a changeable God. He must be the same yesterday, today and forever if we are to have any peace or comfort.
But is this all His name implies simply “I am?” I am what? We ask. What does this I am include? I believe it includes everything the human heart longs for and needs. This unfinished name of God seems to me like a blank check signed by a rich friend given to us to be filled in with whatever sum we may desire.
The whole Bible tells us what it means. Every attribute of God, every revelation of His character, every proof of His undying love, every declaration of His watchful care, every assertion of His purposes of tender mercies, every manifestation of His loving kindness – all are the filling out of this unfinished “I am.”

God tells us through all the pages of His Book what He is. “I am,” He says, “all that my people need. I am their strength. I am their wisdom. I am their righteousness. I am their peace. I am their salvation. I am their life. I am their all in all.
“My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory.”
Adapted from Hannah Whitall Smith

No comments: