Friday, March 27, 2009

FREEDOM


Gary writes in response to yesterday''s post: How true that we are only as healthy as our view through God's perspective. When we use our own filters or don't even examine ourselves, we take the road away from Jesus and are oblivious to our danger. It is in taking Jesus's perspective of all of life that we become healthy and walk with Him, mindful of His heart, depending on Him for our way. Thanks Gary for your valuable thoughts.


We continue in our Isaiah 6:1-8 venture. Upward. Inward. Outward.

The Third point of the Isaiah’s chapter 6 vision is found in verses 6 and 7: Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar.7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

We’re not stuck in life with carrying guilt. Guilt can be removed - Freedom from sins. Free from the "woe is me." 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all sin.`

Psa.32:1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. FREEDOM

God didn't say to Isaiah, "aha! now I've got your attention. Now you see how bad you've been. Suffer for a little while, Isaiah. Pay penance, Isaiah.

"Paraphrasing Hannah Whitall Smith, The same moment which brings the consciousness of sin, ought to bring also repentance and the consciousness of forgiveness.

And isn't that what the Christian experience is all about? A life of growing personal holiness that becomes very attractive to those with whom we come in contact. Saying with Paul "Follow me as I follow Christ." Not perfect, but desiring Godliness. Desiring to see that which is not Godly and repenting.

In summary, a vigorous disciple of the Master first seeks to encounter God. He allows this rendezvous to show him more clearly his ungodliness. Repentance ensues. He endeavors to see God's hand in every aspect of his life - even the pain.

As we observe God convicting and stripping us of self-dependence, self-confidence, He leads us to God-dependence and Christ confidence. We notice a little reduction of pride, a little less selfcenteredness, anger is becoming less of a problem....as Hebrews 12 says, a quiet growth in grace and character. Deepening our intimacy with God. Results: greater peace of mind. More joy and contentment. Greater sense of fulfillment.

I like Roy Hession's pictoral description of this concept: It's as if Jesus was walking on the Highway of Life. He comes right up to us and asks us to hold out our hearts. And just as if we were handing him a cup, we present to Him our empty hearts. He looks inside, a painful scrutiny, and where He sees we have allowed His blood to cleanse our hearts, He fills them with the water of Life. So we go on our way rejoicing and praising God and overflowing with His new life. This is revival. You and I full of the Holy Spirit all the time, loving others and concerned for their salvation. No struggling, no tarrying. Just simply giving Him each sin to cleanse in His precious blood and accepting from His hands the free gift of His fullness and then allowing Him to do the work through us. As we walk along with Him, He is always there continually filling so that our cups continually overflow.

No comments: