Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Knowing and Enjoying God 9

I was brought up short the other day as I was teaching this “Knowing and Enjoying God” series to a group of men at Nampa’s Lighthouse Ministries. Out of this one drug/alcohol fogged mind came these words, “you seem to be saying we are to know God better to feel more secure and for other reasons that seem selfish. Doesn’t God just want to be known for fellowship with us? Like a parent with a child, doesn’t he just want us to enjoy hanging out with Him?”
I felt convicted of having too much of self in my God-picture. My prayer at the conclusion of that meeting included a repentance for my selfishness in wanting to know and enjoy God more thoroughly?
Consequently, some re-evaluation took place.
Why do I want to know and enjoy God more intimately?
1. Scripture directs us to pursue knowing Him.
2. Selfishly speaking, I function much more effectively and enjoyably as I’m aware of the presence of the Creator of the Universe in my life (and all that His promises provide for me.)
3. Just as I enjoy hearing from my children and fellowshipping with them, so also I want to relish companionship with Abba PaPa, both out of gratitude for Him but also I know it pleases Him when I engage with Him.
To enhance this rendezvous, a grateful praise pours out of my heart and mouth, be it in a church worship service or in my personal “quiet time” with Him. When I praise Him, my joy increases as does the awareness of His holy presence. Psalm 63:2-5 I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy.

May the third option be more of a motivating factor than #2 in my quest for knowing and enjoying God at ever deepening levels.

Have you any thoughts about this?

2 comments:

William R. Wallace said...

Aye. I have thoughts. I want to be with God because we fit together. My sinfulness doesn't fit, but my sinfulness isn't me (rom.7:17-23). As for being rewarded by spending time with God, well, that's unavoidable. You don't go to God with a dispassionately altruistic goal of "doing good, eschewing the reward". That's twisted. If you're too focused on the REWARD, though, instead of the PERSON, well, I don't really think that's possible. A man your age knows time with God as a reward all its own. As THE reward. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what we do in Heaven. If The LORD is there, then that pretty much wraps it up. Also, the Inventor of Cosmos really delivers the spectacle and laughter and warmth and thrill and all that. Do I sound strident? I always feel like internet text misrepresents my tone of "voice" when I write. Eye contact and smiles are indespensible to conversation. I try with what crude tools are at hand, though. Well, that's enough from me. Take everything I just wrote and let it be represented by this, my actual thought on the matter: Jesus' Dad loves me! Yay!

William R. Wallace said...

And He loves you! And you love Him! So, that means that maybe the two of you will build a big, galaxy-sized barn one day, and I can come help raise one of the walls (a mammoth project, employing hundreds of souls and thousands of years). Or maybe I could bring everyone everlasting sodas and just watch for a while.