Monday, March 30, 2009

Qualified for ministry.

Enjoying son, Ray, and daughter, Gretchen as they helped me celebrate my 70th.

Summarizing our Isaiah 6 study up to this point: See God. See self. Repent and be cleansed.


Isaiah then says in 6:8 Here I am, send me. He is feeling qualified for ministry.
A formal education like Bible College or seminary is an important venture in one’s preparation for ministry. “Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not be ashamed.” But, in my opinion, the greatest training for ministry is described to us in Isaiah 6:1-8: view God (spending time with Him, knowing and enjoying Him), see self, and enjoy the fruits of repentance and of our position as an image-bearer of the Creator of the Universe.

Fruitful. John 15 describes it well. Let the Word speak for itself.
I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.
9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.


Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit. When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow.

At the age of 13, I sensed that God wanted me to be a preacher. My stuttering was so profuse at this time that I fought God for a year. During this struggle, I told God, "People can hardly understand me. How in the world could I be a preacher?" After wrestling with God for the year I finally said that if that is what He wanted me to do, I would. The "call" then seemed to dissipate. I never did become a preacher, but it has been interesting to see how God has used this ol' stuttering tongue through the venues of christian counseling, basketball coaching, speaking and now more of a mentoring role. "Here am I. Send me.

Fruitful ministry. When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow.

UPWARD, INWARD, OUTWARD

Next post: seeing ourselves as image bearers of God – our real identity as God's messengers.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I stumbled upon your blog today, and read a bit. Amazing how two totally separate people can share so much perspective due to dealing with stuttering from a Christian world view.

So I'll be interested to see how far the perspective-similarity goes between us... As the single greatest facet of living (successfully) at peace with stuttering is the concept of true forgiveness (of self and society) that (IMHO) only comes through divine strength.

Take care,

Greg
http://stuttering.me
(Father, PhD prof & stutterer)