Saturday, January 9, 2010

Part 2 of a crash and burn experience.

Black Walnut gun stand I built (my therapy)


What I learned from the experience as described in yesterday's post?
• I’m not as mature in my walk with God as I thought.
• God’s grace and mercy covers my repented sin.
• In like manner, I need to abundantly give grace and mercy to those around me.
• "Thanks and rejoice" is a supernatural response that I can’t perform in my own strength when the adversity is seemingly overwhelming. God has to empower my willingness to accomplish the challenge and then provide the strength to complete the objective.
• A more positive attitude came from the lessening of symptoms, not from the source of Romans 15:13.
• That I need to learn more deeply of God’s love (Ephesians 3:16-21 and Romans 8) and keep growing.
• As I’m coming out of the tail spin, I’m recognizing more clearly the impact our thought life has on our total sense of well-being. The negativity of fear exacerbated the PD symptoms. Conversely, focusing on gratitude and being joyful is just plain ol’ mental and physical health producing. “A joyous heart is like good medicine,” Proverbs tells us.

I began to study because Romans 12:2 says,”be transformed by the renewing of the mind.” Studied fear. Word search on “fear not” indicated the Scriptures direct us to “fear not” over 150 times.
“Fear” examined. Fear definitions: aphobos – fearlessly, without fear Phil. 1:14 would be an example.
Deilea – timidity; 2 Tim.1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
Ekphobos – frightened out of one’s wits. Sore afraid; Heb.12:18-21
Phobio - exceedingly frightened; matt.10:28
Phobos - same

Studying “fear” didn’t seem to meet my need, because I was only addressing the symptom. Then I was reminded that … perfect love expels all fear… 1 Jn.4:18
And where does perfect love originate? 1 John 4:9-10 God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.

If I know God’s love at a deep affective level, fear should subside. (It is 99% gone.)
2 Timothy 1:7 emphasizes this: For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Giving thanks in and for all things seems absurd. But if we're going to believe that all things work together for good for those who love God and are endeavoring to fit into His plan, then we must and we'll benefit from it.

Sarah YOung in "Dear Jesus" reminds us that the bottom line is whether we trust God to use adversity for good in our life. God speaking: "Try to see your problem as a disguised blessing gradually transforming you into My likeness."

No comments: