Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Treasures of darkness

My hobby, carving diamond willow.

I’m amazed at the timeliness of Os Hillman’s blog writing and my circumstances. If you don’t get his daily blog, I’d encourage you to consider doing so. They can be contacted through Marketplace Leaders [tgif@marketplaceleaders.org].

Today’s writing is so pertinent. “I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name (Isa 45:3).
When God takes you to a depth of soul experience be alert to new truths and new perspectives. During these times God often leads us to amazing new discoveries. It can be a storehouse of unexpected riches for the soul.“

My recent Parkinson’s experience is a good example of darkness where I’m mining treasure. The overwhelming fear of not being able to walk again has propelled me into a quest for knowing God at a deeper level, because “perfect love casts out all fear,” and the only source of perfect love I know is God. I’m learning that I can know God intellectually by reading His Word. I’m learning that meshing the cognitive with the affective (feeling level), that there is greater sense of His Presence. The environment that provides this seems to be found in the milieu of darkness (adversity, stretching, tough times.)

In going through John 15 again this morning, the word “obedience” leapt out at me. Jesus speaking, ”I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Live within my love. When you obey me you are living in my love, just as I obey my Father and live in His love.” Living in His love through obedience.

Consequently, my growth theme for the year, which is “God, Search me. Confront me. Lead me,” is very appropriate. Show me any area of disobedience that could obstruct my receiving the message of God’s love and sovereignty in my life.

The PD experience has also motivated me to search out what I can do to deal with PD constructively. Become more stress-free, develop a deeper joyful, grateful spirit because that produces dopamine in the brain (which my medication does), exercise, be creative and connect with significant people that are uplifting.

Hillman finishes his article with, “When we go through a trial of adversity, we need to understand that God is performing radical surgery on our life. The purpose of this surgery is not to destroy us, but to give us a new heart. God is making a fundamental change in who we are and who we will be. And, He will always reveal treasures from these secret places if we are willing to walk through the process patiently.”

I'd prefer not having times of darkness, but I sure appreciate the treasures that come from God through them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So why are we so bent on trying to love God in our presumed strengths and not our weaknesses? Why can't we accept that His strength is completed (perfected) in our weakness? Why do we fight so hard against Him being greater than we?

Oh, say, it is good to have you back, Brother!