Monday, March 1, 2010

Spiritual Discipline


I'd like to stimulate your appetite to read the book "Longing for God" by Foster and Beebe. They have compiled advice from the godly sages beginning with Origen of Alexandria, born in 185, on up to the more current theologians/ philosphers. I'll share some tidbits in the next few posts.

Spiritual disciplines: study, prayer, reading and memorizing scripture, service to others, reflecting on God’s activity in nature and history, solitude, silence and fasting, all facilitate spiritual formation. But these activities can also misfire and become burdensome, killing the very life we seek. All spiritual disciplines require care to produce growth and progress.

How would you evaluate yourself in this arenal of spiritual discipline? And, why spiritual discipline? "Because I want to be a godly man."

I leave you with the question: "Why do you want to be a godly person? " LEt me know at rburwick@mindspring.com. That is a question I'm wrestling with now. Would appreciate your thoughts.

No comments: