Saturday, March 26, 2011

Significance of a leg


Two people rattled my cage to get back to posting . My special Montana friend Gary wrote: I am concerned that what with the digging of foundations, depth of hole, you balance issues, you may have fell off the face of the Earth or maybe face into the earth.
The other rattler was Anthony Robles, a 125 pound wrestler from Arizona State who won his weight division for a national championship. He was born with one leg. “Mom told me God made me this way for a reason.” He plans to become a motivational speaker.

I’m still adjusting to doing less amount of physical work because of the extensive nerve damage and loss of strength in my leg. At times I’m saddened by the loss because I love to work – to create with my hands, laying stone or carving diamond willow or creating stuff out of barnwood. Then I see Anthony Robles. WAKE-UP CALL. Be thankaful for what you’ve had in the past, Burwick, and enjoy the present. Tempted to think what I can’t do. Buying into that leads to frustration and depression.

Learning to accept my production restrictions, when it has always played a significant role in self perception is an ongoing challenge. I get caught up in the exuberance of being outside in this beautiful spring weather, creating a stone mail box or laying a floor in our daughters house, that I don’t realize what is happening to my legs until the night and following day. AS we Norwegians say, “I come too late, too smart.”

So the learning to “give thanks in all things” and “rejoice evermore,” is a definite work in progress.
Thanks GAry for the gentle prodding.

No comments: