Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why were you born? What is your purpose? Do you have a cause? Been reading Matthew Barnett's book "The Cause Within You - finding the one great thing you were created to do in this world. Barnett is the founder of Los Angeles Dream Center - a ministry involving 200 forms of need-centered outreach.

Barnett says, "When you discover and commit to your personal cause, you'll find that God is right there beside you - ready and willing to partner with you in amazing ways."

My cause began as a college basketball coach endeavoring to help young men in character growth. My second career was private practice counseling - helping the wounded heal and providing direction for the lost. What a rewarding cause! Seeing people become free from all sorts of bondage.

Then came retirement - unwanted! I floundered. There was no formal vehicle for a cause. I reminded God of the Proverb that states, "without a vision the people perish," and that I was fresh out of vision - a cause. The ensuing years found me hearing these words - I believe from God: "Just love on and encourage people." NO excitement of winning a basketball game. NO accolades from wounded that have been set free. Just love on and encourage others. That is my cause.

What is yours? Not sure? Barnet says that the simple act of serving people faciliates God's cause within you. "If you have never known your cause, serving flushes it out. If you have been pursuing a cause but life crushed it, serving has the ower to rekindle that flame of passion."

Got a cause?

No comments: