Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Radical Gratitude

Leslie Gultch, Idaho-Oregon border
I have been frustrated more lately with the increase of stuttering. Adhering to the Biblical principles of “Give thanks IN all things” and “Give thanks FOR all things” I was not! My Abba PaPa gently spoke to me saying, “It will take some pressure off you to just be thankful even for the increased stuttering.
I began the discipline and shortly thereafter, Theresa and I flew to San Antonio to be with our daughter Kristin, who gave me a birthday gift. She wasn’t aware of my gratitude growth objective. Guess what she gave me – the book Radical Gratitude. I think God has a unique sense of humor. Kinda like, "Burwick is trying to develop a more grateful attitude, let me give him some extrinsic help!"

May I share some excerpts from the book with you?
Radical Gratitude by Ellen Vaughn

Real renewal beats in the pulse of a purposely grateful human heart.

Living in a spin cycle of spiritual fatigue is a contaminate of a grateful spirit..

Scripture on the topic:
Ephesians 5: 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thes.5: 16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
Col.4: 2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
Phil.4: 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

It’s incredible: The small, compliant human action of saying “thank you” constantly links us to the awesome Creator of the universe. In the practice of perceiving every part of every day as a gift from Him, we stay connected to Christ. The conversations of a continually grateful heart become a way of life, a fountain flowing in us, the means by which we acknowledge our dependence on Christ; enjoy Him lavishly, and run to do whatever He wants.
More on gratitude tomorrow

No comments: