Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ultimate Security 6, Ann Burwick


A third reason for not experiencing our security from God has to do with feelings of INELIGIBILITY.

Because of poor treatment, neglect, and\or abuse, some people doubt their value. Though they believe the promises in God's word are true, somehow they don't QUALIFY for them. These people are believing lies about their worth which the behavior of others has fostered and satan has reinforced.

Prescription: Face and deal with the hurt and anger at the offender and then confront the lies we have believed by the Romans 12:2, "being transformed by the renewing of our minds." I must learn what God thinks about me and how he values me even when I'm struggling more than all the 90 and 9 sheep who are doing well. Isaiah 43:1,4 reminds me "Fear not, for I have redeemed YOU; I have summoned YOU by name; YOU are mine....Since YOU are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love YOU...

It is really hard to admit, but sometimes we have questions about God's RELIABILITY, and GOODNESS. This may also keep us from being secure in our daily lives. We think: "I don't know if God is reliable. I don't know what He will do. He didn't stop those who abused me. My past experiences have made me fearful! Because prayers have not been answered like I desired. A loved one has died whom we prayed would live; children, whom we have tried to raise right have strayed and rebelled, health and finances are not what we would like. We may feel INSECURE IN GOD'S HANDS. If He'd just answer like I asked I would know I could trust HIm. (When Diane Deshazo died, for whom the whole church had prayed believing for her healing - I made a decision to not ask God for anything specific again. This mindset lasted for a number of years.)

In our insecurity we want to control God - to make sure He will answer the way we expect and desire. Only when we defer to His judgements giving Him liberty to be God will we not be offended by His ways. This doesn't mean we won't feel sad, disappointed and even angry, but we will submit to His sovereignty and loving wisdom. Luke 7:23 and BLESSED - happy ...(we're talking here about enjoying God) is he who takes no offense in Me and is not hurt or resentful or annoyed or repelled or made to stumble,(whatever may occur).

More tomorrow

No comments: