Monday, May 5, 2008

Spiritual Warfare 11

Leslie Gultch on the Oregon-Idaho line

This is our last posting on spiritual warfare. Be aware of the wiles of the evil one but

Don’t give satan too much credit!
In my younger Christian days, I often said, “satan doesn’t have to spend much time with me. He doesn’t bother me because I have enough challenge with my flesh (self-life).” It seemed my own insecurity and selfishness raised enough havoc with me and those close to me that satan didn’t have to spend any time diverting my eyes from Jesus.

I desperately desired to be a godly man, husband, parent, counselor, and friend. However, fear, worry, pride, seeking for recognition and love, anger, resentment and a host of other fleshly symptoms frequently reared their ugly heads. The devil “didn’t make me do it.” I was very capable to sin and live the fleshly life in my own effort - the flesh. However, I didn’t realize my fleshly patterns were giving the evil one a foothold in those areas of my life. My fleshly responses were exacerbated by the devil’s foothold and influence.
Look with me at what is termed “flesh?”

The self-life, the flesh is:
* that part of the Christian independent from God - doing its own thing, wanting its own way. It tends to selfishness, lust, greed, anger, fear, worry, etc. - that is the flesh or the self.

* That dimension of us that is influenced outwardly by the world with its enticements to take a bite of the “apple” (get our needs met outside of God) instead of obedience to God - that is flesh or self.

* The part that carries into adulthood the wounds and scars of childhood - that is flesh or self.

* The “before Christ person”, who acted and thought in ways contrary to Christ’s teachings - that is flesh or self.

As Christians, we have a choice to walk in the spirit or walk in the flesh. Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature (flesh). For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other...

Paul challenges us to aggressively put off the “old self.” Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Thought and action patterns take time to change. The person riddled with fear all of his/her life doesn’t become a person trusting in God overnight. Be patient and persevering as you are in the process of putting off the old self.
Jerry Bridges writes, “Sin (flesh) is like a defeated army in a civil war, that instead of surrendering and laying down its arms, continues to wage a guerrilla war. As a reigning power, flesh is defeated in the life of a Believer, but it will never surrender. It will continue to harass us and seek to sabotage our Christian lives as long as we live.”

Athletic scouting reports are helpful but never perfect. The opposition may change tactics or personnel. They may perform with greater excellence then when they were scouted.
I recall one team we scouted. I had a knowledgeable man scout them one game and I scouted a different game. I thought we had a thorough report and sound game plan to engage this good basketball team. They had better personnel but I thought our strategy would provide an upset victory for us. Not! They added an outstanding player we hadn’t seen before. And those we had observed shot the eyes out of the bucket. We got waxed.

There is a significant dissimilarity in the scouting report of our enemies, our flesh-life and satan. Our victory is guaranteed. We know the power and strategy of the flesh and how to combat it. satan is the prince of this world, very powerful, but "greater is He that is within us than he that is the world." We know the strategies of satan, the enemy, and we know our arsenal of defensive and offensive weapons. he is a defeated foe. Knowing God is our focus. Our concentration is as the catechism challenges: “the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.”

You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:11

No comments: