Monday, February 4, 2008

Identity - Reframing Your Life 5

One of my blessings, a college roommate (Jerry Isaacson). We maintain contact.

Finishing up our topic of “Reframing your life,” lets look at some practical examples. Again, it is not so important what has happened to you as it is important that your response is healthy and productive.
For example, Betty Fergusen had a 16-year-old daughter who was kidnapped and killed by her English teacher, Ray Payne. She reports, “I was consumed with hatred and suffered everything from headaches to back pain so severe I could hardly stand.”

Six years later while attending a funeral she grasped more deeply the words, “Forgive those who traspass against us.” She began to work through the forgiving process. Eleven years after the murder she visited Payne in prison and told him the heartbreak he had caused. He listened and both cried.
She reported, “Forgiveness is the greatest gift I ever gave myself – and my children.” She now works as a mediator in a Pennsylvania program for violent-crime victims.
She has reframed a horrendously painful experience into something productive, helping other people who have gone through what she previously experienced.

On a lessor pain level, I’m having to reframe my life from a Parkinson’s disease perspective. My mobility is being curtailed with loss of balance and a host of other symptoms. I have a choice to reframe, which would move me from a postion of discouragement for what I’ve lost to a mindset of gratitude for all God has provided for me these 68 years of life. Be sad and mad for the loss or rejoice and be grateful for what He has provided – past and present. 98% of the time I reframe properly!!!

How about you? When life has thrown lemons at you, has it turned you sour or are you selling lemonade?

How are you doing reframing the present – like getting stuck in traffic? Is that a time for discontent or could it be reframed to one of productivity? A time to memorize scripture or time to pray?

As Paul reminds us in Philippians 4:8, Fix your thoughts on what is true, good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely. Dwell on the fine good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.

No comments: