Friday, February 29, 2008

Names of God - 1

My son Ray with BElla Rose
We are known by name. My name is Ray Burwick. But that doesn't specifically identify me because I have a son by the same name. When my son was at home with us, if someone would call our house and ask for Ray, a more specific Ray must be requested - young Ray or old Ray. (Some say ancient Ray.) We once were called big Ray and little Ray. That is no longer applicable.

I have other names that describe me: husband, father, counselor, author, teacher, former coach, former heathen, Christian, etc. Players who I coached back in the 60's at Cascade College in Portland, Oregon knew me as "coach". Some of my former players still call me coach, though I’ve held other professional positions since being a coach.

And with God. If He were referred to as just God, we would not understand Him in totality. To know God better we can study the names of God in Scripture. This will give us an all inclusive panoramic view of God, our Abba PaPa.

Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed by Thy name.
Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
Psalms 20:7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.

Rather than skimming through the list of God's names, it is suggested that time be taken with each name of God. Meditate on it. Apply the information to your situation - to where you are in your spiritual journey.

Adonai - Lord's total possession of me and my total submission to Him as Lord and Master; deserving of obedience, to be trusted, supreme ruler of the universe.
Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?
Romans 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Showing contempt for God's name comes in different forms, from the outward shaking of the fist at God to the more subtle allowing sin to block fellowship with Adonai. The following verses support this:
Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.
Isaiah 64:7 No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you; for you have hidden your face from us and made us waste away because of our sins.
Psalms 66:18 If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. Harboring sin hinders our fellowship with Adonai.

For more study on Adonai: Genesis 15:1; 1:27; Psalms 24:1; 50:10-15; 123:2; 145:14-16; 1 Corinthians 11:7.
More of God's names on Monday

No comments: