Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Basketball Reunion


We've been gone the past week. Portland town. Alumni gathering of the old Cascade College that is now part of Seattle Pacific University. What a special time. A bunch of the basketball players from over 40 years ago reunioned the night before the Alumni event. What a joy to be with men that helped me cut my eye teeth on basketball coaching in the early '60's.

It was a unique event for two reasons besides reconnecting with the young men. I was reminded that in College I was told to get out of education because no school would ever hire me. Stuttering! But man can't stifle God's plan for His children. I went from college right into college coaching, initiating the intercollegiate program at Cascade. Then, 14 years later, the college that said no school would ever hire me because of my stuttering - DID. That's "praise the Lord" material.

Reconnecting. Reminder of God's blessings. And I was blessed to receive the "Medallion of Honor for Distinguished Service." The weekend was overwhelming. Gratitude to God for blessing this liitle ol' stuttering North Dakota farmboy, who spoke with such frustration as a school boy that I wanted to quit school in the eighth grade and live on a farm the rest of my life where people wouldn't see and hear me speak.

I wrote about the event in my journal. May I be so presumptious as to share it with you?

Wow, the afterglow from the Cascade College Reunion weekend events could illuminate the night sky of Nampa indefinitely. What a thrill to reconnect with you special men! Receiving the undeserved Medal of Honor was a highlight, but that definitely took a back seat to the warmth and caring from you to each other and to me. The "highest highlight" of the weekend happened after the medallion presentation when you came to the podium and surrounded me with your love and appreciation. I was overwhelmed! What a blessing, a masterpiece that will forever be etched in the museum of my memories.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Vern for spearheading the event; to Velma for all the Friday night food preparation; to Joby and Arlys for their beautiful home and dessert; to you who drove a far piece to come; to all of you who could have chosen to spend the weekend in other activity. To God and to you all, I am soooo grateful.


Thanks for allowing me to share this happy event with you.

No comments: