Monday, October 27, 2008

Developing Self Discipline 3


The fifth consideration in developing self discipline: PRIORITIZE. Instead of operating under a week’s schedule, some prefer to function with daily “do-lists.” Getting the more tedious or difficult tasks accomplished first sets the tone for an anticipation of finishing with easier responsibilities. This plan should provide some “down time” for times of relaxation.

May I suggest that much TV viewing is counterproductive to rejuvenation. Keep your entertainment dimension productive, creative and stimulating with a worthwhile hobby, reading a good book, taking a walk, listening to uplifting music, conversing with someone.

Consider also emotional issues regarding self discipline. Do you believe lies about yourself like, “You don’t deserve the success that comes from discipline?” Or, “You’ve never been a disciplined person. You’re wired that way because you are an artistic free style person.”

One person wrote saying, "An exercise I have appreciated involves learning to listen to my inner voice which is really a composite of the voices of my parents, my sister, my teachers, my culture, and my interpretations of those voices. The source of the lies often originate in this arena.
I divide a sheet of paper into three columns. In the first column I write and will rewrite a truth that I want in my life. An example might be: I live my dreams from my authentic heart. In the second column I wait to hear my inner voices responses which might be, you have no heart. Then I write the truth again I live my dreams from my authentic heart. Again in the second column I write the responses like your dreams are stupid. I keep going rewriting the truth and then writing the responses until I uncover the core issue(s) or the voices stop. Then in the third column I will give a truth that counters it, such as Yes, I have a new heart that was given me by Jesus Himself, or my dreams may need tweeking to be more realistic, but I am working on them and my dreams are a wonderful part of me."

The same can be done with self discipline. Lies can be “you won’t be successful so why start," or “I’m like my dad and he was never disciplined, so why should I try?”
I believe the process involves digging deep until the core issue(s) are revealed, put away and truth is faced and implemented.

Another emotional issue that could be thwarting your development of self discipline is “passive aggressiveness.” You might have had a parent who consistently criticized you for not having a disciplined life, producing anger toward that person. Instead of expressing that anger to the parent (and collect more criticism), you bury the anger into the subconscious. So a way to express the anger subtlely is to make them mad by doing the opposite of what they want you to do.

More tomorrow

No comments: