Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Self Discipline and addiction - 4

One person responded to the self discipline blog this way by sharing a journaling she did this week:
“I feel I am a hedonist. I seek pleasure, in a way, because I love to be warm and comfortable and in control of my own time. I don’t think I’m lazy. I work hard around our home and I work hard at work. But I begin to feel a little out of sorts and slightly depressed when I think about getting up at 5:30, getting ready and going to work. I really actually dread it.

"Weird thing is, it really is a great job once I get there. Lord, please help me with my “mental” so I can enjoy today and look forward to each day no matter what I must do. I want my joy to come from You, deep within and not base it on my own comfort.”

She continued with: “I went on to praise the Lord for all He has done and is doing in our lives. I really am grateful and I want my life and thoughts to reflect God’s goodness and mercy. SO, I will continue to ask Him to work in my brain! Am I addicted to my own comforts? I do make myself do what I have to do. I just want my attitude to be in line with it.”

My reaction to her email? What a prime example of self discipline. I commend her for doing what she doesn’t want to do – getting out of her comfortable bed and going to work. Great! But she adds a twist to this whole self discipline thing – attitude. If we’re following Biblical principles for living we are to give thanks in all things and for all things, according to 1 Thessalonians 5:16 and Ephesians 5:30. And we are to “rejoice evermore,” Philippians 4:4.

The direction here is to not only sharpen self discipline skills but that they be matched with a joyful, grateful spirit. How does that happen? If the Bible commands something, God has to come through with the empowerment to accomplish what has been directed. Begin with prayer something like, “Father, I’m not experiencing the self discipline I need, nor the joyful and grateful attitude about it. Do in and through me what I am unable to do myself. Philippians 2:13 tells me that you will help me obey and also help me want to obey. I need that empowerment Father, as I do my part in cooperating with you. And by he way, thank you for the many blessings I have. You have been so good to me.”

So, the thought for today: Don’t just sharpen self discipline skills, but develop a more positive, joyful and grateful spirit, especially in those areas that self discipline is a challenge.

More later on the process of change.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy valium buy valium no prescription needed - buy valium cheap no prescription

Anonymous said...

order xanax xanax quick acting - buy xanax 3mg online

Anonymous said...

buy ativan what is generic ativan - buy lorazepam overnight

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online cheap how can you buy xanax online legally - safe to buy xanax online

Anonymous said...

order ativan online ativan uses - ativan addiction stories

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg order diazepam online canada - diazepam vs soma

Anonymous said...

buy soma online soma drug pregnancy - carisoprodol addiction

Anonymous said...

order carisoprodol online watson soma online - buy soma online yahoo answers

Anonymous said...

buy soma online carisoprodol withdrawal syndrome - carisoprodol indications

Anonymous said...

cheap carisoprodol where can i buy soma online - soma drug side effects

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium green round - sheldon high valium