Saturday, October 11, 2008

Is laziness an Addiction - 2

We’re wrestling with the question, “Is lack of discipline, or laziness or procrastination, what ever you want to call it, an addiction?” If so, what is the addict addicted to? And, what is the payoff – the reward for this malady?

I’m finding that across the board, this is a weakness that is most difficult to turn around. Laziness isn’t destructive to the body as drugs and alcohol are, so motivation to change is lacking. May I add that the destruction is much more subtle. Guilt is usually the result of knowing something needs to be done and not doing it or putting it off. Guilt, however so subtle, wreaks havoc on our minds and bodies.

Someone might be saying, “What’s the big deal about self discipline? I’m a spontaneous person and I get things done. Lack of discipline is not hurting me. Why should I go through all the pain of scheduling, planning ahead and then have to stick with the schedule. I’ll get in a rut and my spontaneity will be lost.”

I’ve been working on this challenge the last couple days – getting thoughts from my Lighthouse Mission guys. From my prayer partner, Dan. From my bright wife and some research on the web. Explore with me and send me any of your thoughts (rburwick@mindspring.com).

Let’s first define self discipline. Discipline is the ability to force yourself to do something that you know you must do, even if you don’t feel like it. There are many distractions to self discipline today – TV, sports, video games, cell phone texting, and noises of all kinds. A thought that must be brought into subjection is, “Why should I do something which is boring or difficult when I can do something that is easy and fun instead?” Our society makes having fun so easy that working at things that really matter in life, that requires self discipline, just doesn’t seem as important.

The college student who puts off writing that paper or reading that 100 pages due by a certain date because sports center is on TV or that video game is “calling.” Results: work done at the last minute is usually not as productive, not as thorough; sleep is lost; tension stresses the body, etc. etc.

The house wife who puts off an unpleasant task. The pastor who procrastinates with sermon preparation. The average Christian who finds the lure of the news or some extra sleep more important than spending a half hour in developing intimacy with God through Bible and prayer.

So, what is the value of self discipline? Basically, the things in life that are worth having, that have long term value and meaning are usually the things that require hard work, inconvenience and time. The accomplished musician or athlete. The research scientist. The person walking closely with God. The everyday worker who desires promotion – all of these benefit from the “pain” of self discipline. Oh, the musician, the athlete, the worker can get by with slacking, but production is effected and self esteem diminishes.

I’m not suggesting we follow the words of Trevor Brazille, 4 time PRCA World Champion All Around Cowboy. At the Pendleton Roundup this year he was signing his picture with the words, “The best never rest.” I’m not sure if he adheres to that credo completely. If so, a burnout is on the way. But I’m positive that laziness has not been the contributing factor to his rodeo success.
We’ll continue this exploration in the next blog.

No comments: