Monday, October 13, 2008

Is Lack of Self Discipline an Addiction - 3


Summarizing our exploration of, “Is lack of self discipline an addiction.” Because it is so very difficult to change that attribute, it appears to be comparable to breaking an addiction to drugs/alcohol or cigarettes.
A reader stopped me yesterday and told me that he has been free from alcohol and meth for over six years, “but the addiction I’m having the most trouble with is lack of self discipline.”

Let’s label the problem “laziness.” That is a more ugly description of the weakness, consequently should provide more motivation to change. I have many weaknesses but laziness is not one of them…until of late – in two areas. Memorizing Scripture and exercising. A combination of the aging process and Parkinson’s is curbing the appetite for both. This is a “bear” to change. I need to. Both are for my overall health. Maybe if I look at what God says about laziness that will help motivate me to revamp in those two problem areas.

2 Thes.3:6 Our orders—backed up by the Master, Jesus—are to refuse to have anything to do with those among you who are lazy and refuse to work the way we taught you. Don't permit them to freeload on the rest. We showed you how to pull your weight when we were with you, so get on with it. We didn't sit around on our hands expecting others to take care of us. (Message)

Proverbs 13:4 Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper. NLT

Proverbs 18:9 A lazy person is as bad as someone who destroys things. NLT

To those passages I say, “I don’t classify my self as a lazy person except in those two mentioned areas, to which I can apply the Biblical principles.
“But I’m not a lazy person,” another person may say. ”I just procrastinate.” Whether the label is lazy, mentally lazy, lack of self discipline or procrastination, the process of correction is extremely difficult, like breaking an addiction.

To what may we be addicted? In broaching this question to others, I heard these replies: “I was addicted to hedonism (pleasure seeking).” Others said, “to self-centeredness – self trust, self sufficiency, self will (I want what I want when I want it), to ease – the easy way.”

“Discipline is an inconvenience. I don’t want to be inconvenienced. I like instant gratification. Ease is more gratifying than discipline. There is no instant gratification in self discipline. However. the short term gain of ease produces long term pain (of regret).”

“I’m addicted to me. It’s all about me. Rebellion. I want what I want, no matter the results.”
“My addiction is to daydreaming. In the distraction I can get what I want without working for it.”
“I’ve slacked off so long it has become a habit – an addiction. I can’t break that inertia.”

Summarizing these replies, it appears that the general source of the addiction is the word, “EASE.” Or INSTANT GRATIFICATION.
Consequently, we can say that the pay-off, the reward for lack of self discipline is easiness, the road of less resistance, the self indulgent path.
Are we beginning to grasp the magnitude of the seeming impenetrability of that shield?
I’m not suggesting “all work and no play.” Fun in life is important. However our society is shouting from the roof tops, “You only go around once. Enjoy our (product.) Choose the easy way.”
More tomorrow.

No comments: