Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Chemical Addiction: help needed

Dear brother,
I have a question for you. Why are you so stupid? Harsh! No! I could tell you all these things you’ve done to me but I won’t because I love you and care about you. Even though I do, you are making it harder than licking a cactus. I know it will be hard but you need help. I don’t know how long we can do this. I want to see you more than once a week. You’re my brother. Do you remember that or are you high or something? Can you read this or are you not able to see the truth?

I tell you something, I can barely read this because I am crying to hard. In school if someone says something to remind me of you, I have to choke down my tears. I know you’re an addict. But for me, for your family, STOP. We will still love you always but you can’t put us through this anymore. I can’t even begin to tell you how I feel. My feelings are racing. I don’t know what to do anymore. If you want to screw up your own life (which I don’t advise) fine, but don’t bring us down with you.

I have to tell you about that saying, “forgive and forget.” In time I may be able to forgive but I could never forget this. Don’t keep running. Face what you have done. I may even be able to forgive the people who got you hooked on this disgusting stuff. What is getting drunk or high going to do – let you escape from your problems for a few hours anyway? What will you miss in that few hours anyway? A crash, a life, a birthday, what?

How can you be such a hypocrite? You tell me, “don’t do drugs or bad things.” Now I will tell you. You may wake up one day in court or a funeral or a hospital bed – maybe a close friend, maybe a complete stranger. You may say, “I’m not stupid enough to drink and drive or something like that but you also said you weren’t stupid enough to do drugs. Saying “no” is easy. Going through with it is the hard part. Go to rehab for me. I love you with all my heart. PLEASE DON’T BREAK IT! I love you so much, your sis, ______
(From a 13-year-old girl to her brother)

The organization “You’re Not Alone” has retained me to conduct a survey of siblings of drug/alcohol abusers. The findings from this research will be designed to help families who have children who are chemical abusers. We’ve previously surveyed other aspects of families with this challenge. Check out http://www.notalone.org/ and view the different resources for families that have a member abusing drugs or alcohol. Then, if you know of someone who would take our survey who is a sibling of a chemical abuser, please contact me at my Google email address: olaf.burwick@gmail.com I will send a survey, either email or US Post Office. We will analyze, condense and report what family members say to us in their survey answers. Answers and findings will be kept anonymous.

No comments: