Friday, March 16, 2007

From Homeless Shelter to Hollywood

Halle Berry’s life fits the atmosphere of this blogsite – gain through loss. Diane Weathers writes about her in the April 2007 Readers Digest.

Halle and her sister Heidi, two little black girls raised by a white mother. Money tight. Father absent, causing her to struggle with what to look for in a man. She admits being attracted to what was usually not good for her. Result: two marriages ending in divorce.

She speaks of her dad: “I was getting over my anger and sense of betrayal and abandonment toward him and then he died. I have done a lot of healing in his death. I don’t think somebody has to be here for you to heal your relationship.” She periodically consults with her therapist even now.

One of her challenges was being one of only five black kids in school. “I was struggling with my identity, being around all those white people. Where did I fit in? Was I good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, talented in any way?” The only black teacher in the school befriended her. “Through her I knew that I was okay and smart and talented.”

Post high school saw her modeling and venturing into acting, part of the time living in a shelter because money was so tight. Those days are far gone. She has won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, an Emmy and all kinds of accolades for her barrier-breaking acting roles.
Halle has become involved in philanthropic activity, especially connected with disadvantaged children. She says, “My mother was a battered woman by my father. And I have an affinity for children who live in that horror and fear. I’m moved to want to help, especially in the black community where I think sometimes we’re forgotten.”

I don't know where she is on her spiritual journey; however, through Halle’s loss many have gained. And so has she.

No comments: