Saturday, March 24, 2007

From prison to sobriety



From drug/alcohol addiction, to being in jail so many times I can’t count them, to prison, to receiving Nampa’s first annual award titled “Making A Difference.” Meander through my crazy life maze with me.

Dad was an alcoholic who abused my brother, mom and me in nearly every way possible – physically beat us (broke my nose during one beating), verbally demeaned us, and was perfectionistically demanding. I dreaded rainy days because he worked construction and they didn’t work when it rained. That gave him more time to drink and abuse, even showing up at our school and creating drunken scenes. He stole my coin collections. He left us when I was 12. The damage had been done.

Sniffing glue began my addictive process at 12. LSD followed with all kinds of other pills, downers and uppers. At 15 it was heroin. Then alcohol. I could control alcohol better than the other chemicals. I was a clown, manipulated people, fought any chance I got – have many scars to prove it. The law and I became acquainted when I was 14, beginning the many jail jaunts.

My only brush with religion was in the 6th grade when my parents enrolled me in a catholic school, hoping it would curb my wild behavior. I was stuck with a nun who was nearly as abusive as dad. I lasted one semester and have been a “recovering catholic” since.

I lived with a woman for 13 years. No children. Treated her badly like my dad treated my mother. Now married to a good and capable woman with two teenagers. I catch myself replicating my dad’s behavior with them and often have to bring myself up short. Years of irresponsible work life have taken its toll. The longest I’ve held a job is seven months. I’m not proud of that.

But I am proud of my last 11 years of sobriety. Prison caught my attention 12 years ago. I came to the conclusion that it was time to grow up. I went to every religious meeting they held in prison. I became a believer in God. I’ve been clean since then. I’ve spoken at numerous schools about the dangers of drugs and alcohol which provided the impetus for the award I received from the city. I have a stack of appreciation certificates from various city and civic organizations for which I volunteer. I’m not yet what I hope to be, but I’m certainly not what I used to be.
Charles Miller

No comments: