Thursday, January 29, 2009

Scripture Memory 2

This is what happens when you don't memorize Scripture. You go blind, get your front tooth knocked out and grow weird whiskers. :-) Thanks, Barry for your artistic contribution to this blog!!!

Thanks to the folk who responded to the last blog, indicating that they as a small group were considering joining Theresa and me in memorizing Scripture together. That email was very encouraging.

Theresa and I are embarking on a quest to determine if we should initiate the formation of retreats. We have our separate outreaches. We use our home considerably for ministry. We mentor. But it seems like the Lord is leading toward ministry through a retreat set-up. To discern His will, we have begun our own marital retreat. We’re beginning small and see if it builds to something more extensive.
One day a week, we meet for two hours with phones off. No interruptions. We pray, read Scripture, talk, and memorize. Sometimes she plays the piano and I the trumpet. Our two hours at home is followed by going to the church for the prayer and fasting meeting there. We’ll see if this develops into a retreat situation where other people join us, like for a weekend. A significant aspect of our thinking is the value of memorizing Scripture. We’re looking at why Scripture memorization is so essential to the Christian life.

Value of Scripture Memorization Adapted from John Piper.
Faith Builder: Memorizing Scripture strengthens my faith because faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of Christ, and that happens when I am hearing the Word in my head.

World View Shaped: Memorizing Scripture shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint.

Error Filter: Memorizing Scripture guards my mind by making it easier to detect error—and the world is filled with error, since the god of this world is a liar.

Understanding God: I have found that hiding God’s Word in my heart somehow allows it to grow something there and bear fruit in my understanding of the passage, and thereby in my understanding of God.

Conformity to Christ: Paul wrote that “we all... beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.” If we would be changed into Christ-likeness we must steadily see him. This happens in the Word. Bible memorization has the effect of making our gaze on Jesus to be steadier and clearer.

We'll list more tommorow.

No comments: