Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cancer, Parkinson’s and Golf

1998 was a tough year. First, thyroid cancer. Surgery took care of that problem. Then, the diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. I was devastated to say the least. I cried out to God, “why me?” I didn’t think He heard me. Nothing happened, I thought. But His answer came in a different manner than I expected.

The power company for which I was working, forced me to retire. It would be too dangerous for me on a tall pole performing my tasks as a lineman. Carly, my wife, said, “Here’s your chance. You always wanted to be a golf professional. Go for it.” I did, finding a job at a driving range, passing my rules test and my players ability test. As far as I know, I was the first person with Parkinson’s to pass the tests and become a pro.

I started to teach and it was there that I found out what God’s plan was for me. People with Parkinson’s came out of the wood work. I started meeting more and more people who had the disease and gave them golf lessons. It was fulfilling to see how many who had given up on life responded, improving their game and beginning to live again. They had something to look forward to. An aspect of Parkinson’s is depression, so to have something to look forward to is very therapeutic.

I’m grateful to my wife who has been so supportive of me in this journey. When my disease gets me down, she lifts me up. I am a blessed man in many ways.

I have many new friends with Parkinson’s who now have given their lives to the Lord. What I thought was so devastating has turned out to be a blessing. I thank God for the opportunity to serve him in this way.
My loss became great gain.
Richard Harris, Camas, Washington

No comments: