Monday, February 5, 2007

From a soldier, returned from Iraq


I had quickly read over your site and came to realize that you also have learned joy through painful experience both in the physical and the spiritual. Others have accused me of enjoying suffering to the point of strange (jokingly), because I tend to bring it up more than not in bible studies. But there is a wonderful truth found when one embraces how God intends to use "suffering".

Hebrews 12 tells us how the Best Example endured His suffering. Jesus Christ, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (VS 2 and 3).

When I read that, I was so encouraged to shift focus from my current personal struggles to look toward the end state desired of my great Creator. Later in vs 11, it states that suffering produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I envisioned immediately the joy that Jesus focused on. When He comes back for us and completes the final harvest in bringing us to the home He so lovingly promised. His suffering, as great as it was and unbearable, became possible because He knew the Fathers' end state. I know my end state. That brings peace when shrapnel is flying all around me.
Mark. (Psalm 119:71)

No comments: