Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine’s Day Plus One

One card says “Loving you has taught me a thing or two – that life can be free and easy, tough and complicated, a smooth ride, or a long, hard climb…
I’ve learned that the face I love can smile a mile wide and fill my day with sheer delight…that the voice I love can sweeten the night with one whisper in my ear
Yet that same face, that voice can tell me things that are hard to hear about myself – things I’d never thought of, even that puts me in my place
The real-life meaning of love – the good, the bad, the beautiful, the true – I’ve learned all this and more from loving you.”
We who are married, who have this kind of marital relationship, are one blessed people!!!

On the other hand, having lived in Alabama for a quarter of a century, a friend sent me this ALABAMA REDNECK VALENTINE.

Collards is green my dog's name is Blue
and I'm so lucky to have a sweet thang like you.
Yore hair is like cornsilk a-flapping in the breeze
Softer than Blue's and without all them fleas.

You move like the bass, which excite me in May.
You ain't got no scales but I luv you anyway.
Yo're as satisfy'n as okry jist a-fry'n in the pan.
Yo're as fragrant as "snuff" right out of the can.

You have som'a yore teeth, for which I am proud;
I hold my head high when we're in a crowd.
Like a good roll of duct tape yo're there fer yore man,
to patch up life's troubles and fix what you can.
When you hold me real tight like a padded gunrack,
my life is complete; Ain't nuttin' I lack.

Some men, they buy chocolate for Valentine's Day;
They git it at Wal-Mart, it's romantic that way.
Some men buy fine diamonds from a flea market booth.
"Diamonds are forever," they explain, suave and couth.
But for this man, honey, these won't do. Cause yo're too special, you sweet thang you.
I got you a gift, without taste nor odor, more useful than diamonds...
IT'S A NEW TROLLIN' MOTOR!!!

MAY YOUR VALENTINE SENTIMENT LAST ALL YEAR!

1 comment:

timage said...

Hi Ray:

Came across this great quote on Anger and thought about you and your project here. The quote is:
"Anger, says Real, regularly stems from helplessness. “If you’re walking around angry, it’s often because you’re trying to control some thing and it’s not cooperating. The way to be less angry is to let go of your control.” - Therapist Terrence Real from Psychology Today

I know you wrote the book on Anger. What do you think?