Friday, April 6, 2007

Friday – Christ’s crucifixion

Calvary, the place of indignity. Of shame. Jesus, having been betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter, flogged, spat upon, struck in the face, garlanded with thorns, stripped, hangs between heaven and earth with outstretched arms beckoning you and me to “come unto Me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give your rest.” He forgives those who crucified Him. He arranges for the care of His mother. He welcomes a dying thief into paradise. Then the Father turns His back on the scene and Jesus cries out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” I can’t imagine the physical and emotional pain. For you. For me.

The mystery of the crucifixion continues to unfold as we read Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ…” The believer in Him is co-crucified with Christ. Romans 6:6 is a corollary of Galatians 2:20 and tells us that our “old nature” died with Christ. The person I was before beginning my walk in faith with Christ is dead. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells me that I am a new creature, the old is past, the new has come.

Everything about me is the same after initiating my commitment to Christ – personality, body structure, habits, social propensity – but there is a new source of empowerment for living. It is not ME running my life in my own strength, but Christ providing the wherewithal to live supernaturally. I can now ask Him to live, love and give through me. He is my life. What peace! What contentment! What joy! What strength! What hope for the future! (Glory be to God who by His mighty power at work within me is able to do far more than I would ever dare to ask or even dream of – infinitely beyond my highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes.) Ephesians 3:20 TLB

Friday’s crucifixion is followed by Sunday’s resurrection.

No comments: