Tuesday, April 10, 2007

John Walsh - Fighting Back

A six-year-old boy was abducted and murdered about 25 years ago. His dad, John Walsh, used that loss to provide much gain for thousands of others. Most everyone is acquainted with the TV program “America’s Most Wanted.”

Walsh states, “After the abduction and murder of my child, I was very angry and bitter for a long time. But I tried to channel that anger into something positive because it can both take you down and destroy you or you can try to use it to change things for the better. My son was the real victim. I just needed to make sure he didn’t die in vain.”

Public recognition has increased multi-fold. Better prevention and intervention efforts are in place. When a child is missing, no longer is a parent left to his or her own devices to figure out what to do next. Many services and resources are now available to help parents cope with the crisis.

In my time of crisis,” Walsh states, “I found a way of dealing with my heartbreak that was not destructive or hurtful to others. I do know that because of the work I’ve done a lot of people are behind bars that deserve to be there. There are children who are sleeping safe in their beds tonight because of all of the efforts of thousands of ordinary people.

Life is a journey of incredible highs and incredible lows. No matter what happens to you, you can survive.”

Walsh’s loss has been much gain to others.

No comments: