Thursday, July 17, 2008

Anger 11 Hidden Killer

Destructive Results of Unresolved Anger
Anger is indeed one of the main obstacles of the spiritual life. Henri Nouwen says: "The longer I am here, the more I sense how anger bars my way to God."

Besides the spiritual impact, unresolved anger releases a considerable amount of poison. From my counseling experience, it seems as if unresolved anger is the underlying cause of nearly everything wrong with us. Obviously, I am being facetious. Fear, worry, insecurity, trauma of various types, virus, birth defects, biochemical imbalance, drug abuse - all these and more can cause disease.

But as I saw my clients resolving their anger issues, I observed a significant lessening of destructive symptoms, more than with any other kind of resolution. Most depression ceases, anxiety diminishes, migraines, stomach and intestinal disorders and a host of other complaints become less intense or no problem at all.
Let’s look at one of the results of unresolved anger.

Death: With psychiatrists Minirth and Meier in Happiness is a Choice, I believe anger is probably the leading cause of death. The first example of death by murder in Scripture is that of Cain killing Abel. Jealousy prompted it. (Genesis 4:5,8)

William James tells us: “Man is the most formidable beast of prey and the only one that preys systematically on his own species,”



Examining dynamics underlying the numerous school killings, you’ll find a motivation of anger. From the terrorists of 9-11, to the road rage shooters, anger is an underlying issue. One research on homicide indicated that 90 percent of the murderers grew up with a father who was absent, brutal, alcoholic or else so passive and demeaned as to command no respect. Definitely a source of anger-related murder.

However, death by gun or exploding an airplane into a skyscraper are not the major sources of casualty. The more subtle killer is the anger within that destroys its own container.
A friend told me that his father was so angry he had choked to death. In checking with a medical doctor about this, I was told that anger can induce a vomiting episode that can cause aspiration (choking).

Suicides can often be traced to a combination of depression and anger. One client told me that a note had been found beside her husband who had shot himself in the head, reading: “I love my God. I love my country. I hate my wife. She’s a bitch.”
To understand the possible dynamics let’s look at:

Anger’s Frequent sequence:
Expectation, unfulfilled, leads to
irritation/hurt/anger; if unresolved, leads to
resentment/bitterness;if unresolved, leads to
self-pity / depression / anxiety / fears / psychosomatic disease and distorted self image; if unresolved, leads to
withdrawal; if unresolved, leads to
greater self-absorption and expectations; if unresolved, leads to a life of
chronic misery/ psychotic break and even suicide.

I could relate many suicide stories of clients who shared with me about the loss of a spouse or child who had been very angry with them. It has caused me to wonder if suicide is often the ultimate destructive expression of anger! Obviously not all suicide is anger-related. Pride drove King Saul to take his own life by sword. (1 Samuel 31:4)

John Hunter (1728-1793), an English physician, is reported to have developed angina pectoris (chest pains caused by deficient oxygenation of the heart muscles) and was one of the first to describe the symptoms. He has been quoted as saying, “My life is in the hands of any rascal who chooses to annoy and tease me.”
Violent disagreements with his colleagues that brought on the chest pains hastened his death and a heart attack finally ended his life.

According to a University of Michigan research project spanning 18 years, women who habitually stifle high levels of anger had a death rate three times higher than women who release their anger. Unresolved, unprocessed anger can cause death.

More tomorrow

No comments: