Thursday, July 31, 2008

God Listens - unless


We peaked in the horizontal window yesterday, viewing the importance of a person listening to another. Today, the vertical. God and man (woman), listening to each other.

Of utmost importance is to know that God listens to us. Genesis 23:11 tells us: But God had listened to Abraham’s request and kept Lot safe, removing him from the disaster that engulfed the cities on the plain.

New Testament thought would be Philippians 4:6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

God listens to me. He wants me to bring my petitions to Him. Whether He answers my request the way I want Him to or not, I experience peace of mind by knowing that He is listening and will give me what He knows is best for me in each situation.

In fact, Isaiah 65:24 indicates that “I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers.

God listens to us and even answers our prayers before we ask them. However, there can be a hang-up in God’s listening to me.
Isaiah 59:1-2 Listen! The Lord’s arm is not too weak to save you, nor is his ear too deaf to hear you call. It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.
And the following verses describe the sin blockages: murder, lying, grumbling, opposing the good, lawsuits based on lies, cheating and shortchanging others.

Matthew Henry says “We cannot expect that He should countenance us while we go on to affront HIm. Consequently,there appears to be a condition that stifles communication with God. It is called unrepented sin. Psalm 66:16-20 elaborates on the topic. Come and listen, all you who fear God, and I will tell you what he did for me. For I cried out to him for help, praising him as I spoke. If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer. Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer or withdraw his unfailing love from me.

God knows and I can see the devastation of sin in this world. God s so serious about me dealing with sin in my life, being repentant, that He says He won’t even listen to me if I have open rebellion to Him.

Listening. God does - unless….

No comments: