Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy July 4th

Freedom to fish!
AS I began my day today realizing it was the fourth of July, I was overwhelmed with an attitude of gratitude. FREEDOM! Not only as a country, but personal. Probably my greatest freedom is the awareness of God's grace and empowerment that progressively frees me from weights that hold me down - self sufficiency, pride, fear, self-centeredness, resentments and the list goes on and on!

I like the way Christ gently points out an area that needs change or growth and then encourages me to repent and seek Him for power to make that change. This week it was back to that old nemisis: spiritual pride. Self indulgent pride is ugly, superceded only by spiritual pride.

Oh, it's not as prevalent as before. There's been a lot of breaking down of that stronghold the last few years. But it reared its ugly head this week in the arena of church leadership. Pride, according to Nancy Leigh DeMoss, is evident when "you have a subconscious feeling of 'this ministry/church is priviledged to have me and my gifts. Think of what I can do for God.'"

My pastor, Kent Conrad who I deeply respect, and I were discussing ministry and it was like a neon sign lit up before my eyes flashing "pride." I shared that insight with him and we prayed repentance.

FREEDOM! Free from the inner pressure that pride produces. There will be more later, but the intensity and frequency is abating. Praise the Lord!

Gratitude for freedom about which we are reminded on the fourth of July! Happy and grateful Fourth to you.

No comments: