Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Are You Listening

We’re examining the topic “listen.” Listening to each other. Listening to God. An example of a man listening to God is found in 1 Chronicles 14:10. So David asked God, “Should I go out to fight the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?” The Lord replied, “Yes, go ahead. I will give you the victory.”

Can we ask God personal questions today and receive an answer? Some would say, “Ray, that was Old Testament. We’re living in New Testament time. God only speaks now through His Word, the Bible. Others would disagree because the Bible tells us that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He doesn’t change. He’ll talk to us now. And besides the New Testament’s John 10:27 quotes Jesus saying, “My sheep listen to my voice and they follow.” God speaks now.

“Are you listening ?” is a question often heard in the home, from the pulpit and in the classroom. As a stutterer who doesn’t relish speaking, I learned the fine art of listening. Listening is easier than giving me “15 minutes for a five minute conversation.”
But I’ve been challenged of late to fine tune my hearing, not only to people with whom I converse, but also vertically. Am I really in tune with God, listening to Him?

How’s your listening quotient? I must confess that in my 62 years of walking with God, I’ve never been more challenged. God actually wants to dialogue with me.
Bolster that thought with Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths. As I listen to Him, He will direct my paths!

Think of the dynamics of this concept. The Creator, the one who says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” The One who in Romans 8;28 says He will work all things that I experience for my good. That is the God of the universe saying, “Ray, I want conversational intimacy with you so that I can bless you beyond your greatest dreams. (Ephesians 3:20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.)

Lord, I’m listening. Help me to hear! More tomorow on listening.

No comments: