Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Conditions for Petitionary Prayer


Back to the study of “listening”, in particular: God listening to us. Instead of accepting all the promises of asking and receiving carte blanche – resulting in bitterness and cynicism when God doesn’t respond to our prayer of petition – we’re learning there are conditions to that kind of prayer. We’ve looked at a few. More today.

FOR FRUIT- BEARING
John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

The context of this petitioning passage is fruit-bearing – productivity in conveying the truth of the Gospel. Winning folk to Christ. Building disciples. Encouraging Believers in their walk with God. A condition for God's ear is "contagious christiaity."

BELIEVE
Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Taken out of the contextual totality of Scripture, this verse has formulated the doctrinal background for what is called the “Word of Faith” movement. (They are sometimes nicknamed the “name-it, claim-it” group.) The extreme view goes so far as to say, “If you desire a new Cadillac, name it. Believe you’ll receive it. You will obtain it if your faith is strong enough.”

The end result of this doctrine is potentially devastating, as demonstrated by a friend who was a member of a “Faith” church. His mother was dying of cancer. Everyone in the church was praying believing prayers for her healing. She died. My friend was criticized for not having enough faith, which caused the death of his mom. This harsh judgment was debilitating to him and also caused him to distrust God even for his own salvation

Belief that God is able to hear and respond to our petitions is a requirement.
Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Belief is important; however, there are many more considerations in making requests of God.

NEED FOR WISDOM
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God,
who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him
.

This verse follows three verses challenging the Christian to be joyful in tough times because of the potential for character growth.
James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you
face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing
of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish
its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything
.

This passage seems to be saying that God wants us to ask Him for wisdom regarding the tough times. Not “Why me, Lord?” but, “What do you want me to learn? How do you want me to grow through this challenging time? What is the value of this valley venture?”

My PD continues to progress. I’ve been anointed with oil and prayed for. The 700 Club has prayed for my healing. I’ve tried various treatment methods. God has chosen not to heal me at this point.
Will He not touch me, following the pattern of prayer for my stuttering? I wanted to teach, coach, counsel and relate to people most effectively without that embarrassing speech pattern. God chose not to give me that good gift of fluent speech. As mentioned previously, I still stutter. But, He gave me something better – dynamic results of stuttering.
Ø If you can’t talk, you listen. I developed the skill of being an effective listener – a quality most helpful in my quarter century of private practice counseling.
Ø Stuttering was very painful emotionally. I understand emotional pain. I could relate quickly and deeply with my counseling clients. That empathy made me a stronger counselor.
Ø Stuttering created a deep dependence on God for even the basics of speaking. It helped deepen my fellowship with God.
Ø I’ve been commended for my courage in speaking, which inspired others with challenges to positively persist.
Ø Character building can be refined through pain. Stuttering provided a format for growth of character.

Recall that promise we looked at previously in Matthew 7:11
“…how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him.”

God gave me the best gift of stuttering rather than the good gift of fluent speech. And I believe that 98% of the time! :-)

No comments: