Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why This Blog?


“I’ve read many of your blog writings the past months. I don’t understand something; why do so many people to whom you are speaking seem to be in such trouble? Your writing seems to assume many prolems among your readers, be it anger, fear, insecurity or any number of failures and shortcoings, especially in regard to one’s God experience.
If this is true, why aren’t Christians able to figure out by now, how to live normal, ordinary, meaningful calm lives? I don’t undersand all the insecurity, or the need for such constant self scrutiny, or maybe even self absorption…” And the writer of an interesting and challenging email this week spoke more to the subject.

My response to him was: My life passion is helping people become free from hang-ups and emotional baggage. I spent a quarter of a century doing that professionally. Consequently, my blog would normally have that flavor.

Socrates said, “An unexamined life is not worth living.”
King David said, “Search me O God – free me from unknown sins

There can be too much introspection – naval gazing – that is unhealthy. I find fewer people doing that than those who ignore and deny the inner man
Personal growth comes from seeing what needs growth and establishing a gameplan to precipitate that growth.

“Why aren’t Christians able to figure out…”. Because I find very few Christians who do more than go to church once or twice a week. Their discipline of solitude is woefully miniscule. Consequently there is very little integration and personalization of Biblical concepts and very little knowledge of the power of the Holy Spirit to initiate and sustain growth.

You are right. Some people get overboard with introspection and become the “big me.” Like everything in life, balance is key. I like the tripart perspective: look in – look up- look outward (serve others).

Much more could be said about these matters, suffice it to say that as we spend time in Scripture, knowing God and knowing ourselves and applying God’s Word to our lives, there is greater healing, greater freedom and greater purity in reaching out to serve others. To that end I’ll keep writing.

No comments: