Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Does God Really Listen 3

A reader of yesterday’s post writes: “I know God cares but I am left wondering what prevents him from allowing a positive response to my request. AT the age of 14 I started to pray about the lady that some day would be the wife He wanted for me. I am now 71 and I still do not have the person of my request. She teased me into believing she loved me and wanted to be my wife but the lady I brought home from our honeymoon has never filled that relationship. Am I to believe that I ask amiss or that I am unworthy of such a gift or what?

MY short response to the writer is: ask her what happened? “Have I turned you off by some behavior or attitude; or, have you unfinished business with emotional baggage toward your daddy that is getting displaced on me?” Dear writer (you haven’t given me permission to use your name so I won’t use it here), I'd like to hear back from you after asking your wife that question.

Now for a much longer answer to the writer that will take a few posts.

Have you asked of God for a special miracle, maybe more than one time? Nothing happened. Like me, you maintained relationship with God but became somewhat cynical thinking, “God will do what He wants to do so why pray for a miracle?” Frustration and resignation have reigned supreme.

Ole Hallesby captures the essence of frustration with God in his book, "Prayer". He states, “We can endure a great many things with a calm mind if we can see the reason for, or the purpose of, our frustration (suffering.) It is that which we cannot understand and which therefore seems meaningless that irritates us and makes us rebellious more than anything else. For that reason no aspect of God becomes a stumbling block to us more easily than His inscrutability (mysteriousness).”

Consequently, our asking of God can produce great confusion when it seems He is not responding. Our petitioning prayers can either become laced with a passive, negative resignation – “God, here is my request but you’re going to do what you’re going to do anyway.” Or our attitude can be one of hope and expectancy in God’s ultimate sovereign, loving care though we at the time don't see the results we desire.

We’ll continue to explore the general topic of "listening," the specific topic "Does God listen to us," as we address persistent prayer in tomorrow's post.

No comments: